Wednesday 9 December 2009

December 2009 - Kaymed gel nest ultra 1800 review

When I last gave a review of this Kaymed gel nest bed at the end of September I was almost convinced that buying it had been a good decision. The bed certainly took some time to get used to, but after two to three months I started sleeping well and feeling comfortable with it.

Unfortunately things have changed over the last couple of months and I am now having trouble with this bed. Why I am not quite sure, but I believe that the bed is the cause.

We have followed the manufacturer’s recommendations in turning the bed (i.e. swinging it around through 180 degrees and not reversing it) every few weeks and it has had no unusual use. Even so I am finding that within minutes of lying on it that I am uncomfortable and that my back aches. Indeed I am waking up several times every night and often in discomfort.

The thing that makes me concerned about the bed is the fact that the back problems that have plagues me for the last year are significantly improved, yet my night time comfort has diminished.

Furthermore, last week I spent 3 nights sleeping on a very firm foam mattress, which I had previously considered replacing, and had the best night’s sleep that I have had in weeks.

All in all it points to the Kaymed gel bed as being the problem.

I have had a good look at the Kaymed mattress and it seems that, in the main load bearing areas where the hips and shoulders rest, that the bed has: Firstly, deflected slightly and secondly, become much softer and more giving in those same areas.

The result of this is that the central part of the bed, between where two sleepers lay, seems much firmer than the rest of the bed. This area “may” also project slightly.

My guess is that this is causing my sleeping and discomfort problems. Firstly because a bit of the support has been lost and secondly because I do not have a fixed sleeping position, i.e. I am a side, back and front sleeper and this means that any permanent deformation of the mattress cannot be suited to all 3 sleeping positions.

All told this is disappointing as, with a retail price of over £1700, this bed was far from cheap.

On the positive side, I should also point out that my wife still finds this bed very comfortable, but then again she had no great problems with our previous bed and does not have any kind of back issue.

3 comments:

  1. sorry, just searched and seen your updates, great review, this was my fear of it long term, i too am a back/side/front sleeper with lower back discomforts already...

    I think im just gonna go for a firm rate 2000+ springs pocket sprung, with no topper, and just buy a seperate memory foam topper, that way if i dont like the topper or it sinks, i can just use the mattress...or replace the topper only..

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes sense to me. It is easy to spend a lot of money on a bed and get carried away with all of the technology in it (as we did). I am certainly dubious about the longevity of memory foam, Latex foam and Gels in mattresses. Ultimately they have yet to pass the test of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sound like sense to me. It is easy to spend a lot of money on a bed and get caught up in the technology that goes into it (as we did). I am certainly dubious about the longevity of memory foam, Latex foam and Gels in mattresses. Ultimately they have yet to pass the test of time. There is also the issue that do not necessarily suit side sleepers or those who move around.

    ReplyDelete