Monday 20 April 2009

Kaymed gel nest ultra bed

Our new Kaymed gel nest ultra bed was delivered yesterday, as arranged, and at precisely the earliest point of the 2 hour time window given.

First impressions are as follows.

The bed appears to be well made and well finished, at least after a superficial check, and the 2 divan drawers have proper runners – although with a limited runner length.

The divan finish is in a suede like material and looks good. Indeed the bed does not require a valance.

The divan and mattress are large and heavy and, once assembled, the entire bed sits 26 ½ inches off the carpet. Believe me, this is very high with the 2 section mattress alone having a thickness of 11 ½ inches.

The mattress has the 1800 pocket springs in the lower section and the visco elastic memory foam and gel nest in the slimmer top section.

So, after one night’s sleep on the bed what did I think?

Well frankly I had one of the worst night’s sleep that I have ever experienced. This is even more surprising when you consider that for 6 weeks we have slept on a £99 foam mattress with a “concrete like” firmness rating of 9. I thought that anything would improve on this, but for the first night at least I was wrong.

This is not however an unusual or surprising result. Beds with memory foam (and I assume gel) take some adapting to and getting used to, so I hope that things will improve over the coming days as my sleep pattern and comfort expectations adapt to the new bed. That should also be countered by the fact that my problematic back was also playing up last night.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment