Tuesday 28 April 2009

Our new Kaymed gel bed - first proper review

We have now had our Kaymed Gel Nest Ultra 1800 bed for just over a week which gives me an initial opportunity to make some observations about it.

In my last post, and after one night’s sleep on this bed, I was very disappointed. The bed seemed hard and un-giving and my sleep was constantly disrupted. I woke up the next morning feeling tired and achy rather than rested and renewed.

I did qualify this “first impression” by pointing out that I was having some pretty bad back problems at the time and that any new bed takes time to adjust to – even when your back is good!

A week or so on and my impression of the Kaymed Gel Nest bed has much improved.

I think that I was initially surprised at the firmness of the bed and this was because after numerous shop floor “try outs” I was slightly worried that the bed might be too soft! When it arrived I expected a much softer bed than I remembered. This was my error, or rather that of my failing memory.

I would say that it took me 3 or 4 days to get used to this bed, but I do now like it and it certainly does contour to the body’s shapes and curves and it is firm but pliable. It also seems more than coincidental that my back problems have improved quite considerably over the few days since we started using the bed.

As for the claims that the gel nest construction massages the body every time that you move! I must assume that this is a massage about which the person on the bed is kept unaware of. Certainly, I and my wife never noticed it.

The construction of the bed is impossible to determine when lying upon it. It does not feel like memory foam or latex, but equally it does not feel like a springs “only” mattress.

The combination of the bed’s 1800 pocket springs, visco elastic memory foam and a gel nest mean that you can view it in one of two ways. The pessimistic approach would see it as a compromise construction that includes a bit of everything, but with no real paradigm. The other view point would see it a bed that incorporates the best of all worlds with the most advanced of mattress technologies.

Obviously it is very very early days in the lifetime of our new Gel Nest bed, however after a week of sleeping on it my initial impressions are becoming increasingly favourable.

One big change is that I now look forward to going to bed, fall asleep very quickly and feel more awake in the morning, so all the early signs are good – as they should be for a bed in this high bracket price range.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, nice review, any updates since then ? better or worse ?

    I'm thinking of getting a similar one, but was told by a salesman (who doesnt stock these!), that the gel can disintegrate over time, which is why they dont stock them, he did say its difficult to say when the gel can go bad, but did state a figure of 3 years...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the delay in responding - there is a reply to your later post - best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi all

    I actually work for the manufacturers of this bed, Kaymed, and am delighted to hear of your happiness at the bed purchased.

    To the person who commented about the gel breaking down - all I can say is 'rubbish'! Sorry to be so blunt but I woud like to hear who is saying this andon what basis they make this statement?

    We have bene producing gel beds for over 5 years now and I have never heard of one single problem with gel breaking down!

    Hope this helps

    Andrew Richards

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your response Andrew and sorry for the delay in responding.

    The comment was made by another bed manufacturer/retailer (by their sales director who was in the store at the time). He said that their company experimented with gel several years earlier and that it kept failing. As a result they withdrew their gel bed range. True or false, I do not know, but that was his story. Its a couple of years back now, so I cannot remember which company it was, we tried out a lot of beds.

    After two years we have had no such problems, but the bed has, for want of a better term, deformed around the zones in which we both sleep. My wife loves it, I am not quite so convinced, however the build quality of the bed impressed us when we were looking at different options.

    At the time of the purchase my preference was for a similar bed by your company, but the one with the Latex top layer, however my wife preferred the "idea" of gel - and who am I to argue!

    ReplyDelete